As a registered nurse, Tara advises students about nursing careers.
Health & Healing
Heal People. Make a Difference. Understand Bodies.
This channel is for you if…
- You see yourself treating people, as a medical doctor, nurse and nurse practitioner, psychologist, occupational therapist, and certified nurse-midwife.
- You aspire to do research, advancing medical, pharmaceutical, and scientific knowledge and practice.
- You believe in making a difference in communities, as social workers, counselors, and health & wellness coordinators, and abuse prevention specialists.
- You envision improving health overseas, working in the Peace Corps, monitoring HIV rates, and building the capacity of health clinics.
- You imagine educating others about health, such as helping reduce teen pregnancy and STI rates.
Get personalized support for a successful transition to medical school and other professional schools from the faculty and staff members of the Health Professions Advisory Committee.
- Clear direction about what classes you should take to prepare for admission to health profession training programs and how and when to prepare for admission exams
- Writing and submission of a detailed HPAC committee letter in support of your application to prospective training programs
- Coordination of non-classroom experiences with local healthcare providers, alumni and the Beloit pre-health student club to ensure that you are a competitive applicant.
Health & Healing Opportunities
Practicing and Learning about Public Health in Ghana
This week the Office of International Education sat down with Seva Poitevin-Mills ’21 a health and society major to talk about studying and interning Ghana last fall. Poitevin worked at the West Africa Aids Foundation while abroad. In our conversation, she discusses the intersections of practicing and learning about public health while in Ghana.more
Mustafa Quadir’20 never expected to become so passionate about anthropology or to find himself helping to resurrect the Buccaneer Boathouse.more
Caring for Diverse Populations
Guadalupe Orbezo-Perez’20 aspires to be a clinical psychologist, adding “I am trilingual and we need clinicians who can care for diverse populations.”more
Working to empower women
Simone Harstead (IR & Spanish - Class of ’16)more
Public Health Go-Getter
Amanda Mehl ’06 has translated her Beloit College study abroad and internship experiences into leadership in public health.more
Tom Zurhellen Walked All the Way Across America
After Tom Zurhellen’91 discovered disturbingly high rates of suicide and homelessness among veterans, he set out to walk some 3,000 miles to try to turn the situation around.more